Apprentice & Trainee Support

Your Australian Apprenticeship Network provider (AASN) is your first point of call for any queries regarding your apprenticeship or traineeship.

There are four AASNs available in Victoria which are as follows

  • Apprenticeship Support Australia
  • MEGT
  • Sarina Russo

Our Apprenticeship Support Officer offers free and confidential advice, guidance, mentoring and support including a range of referrals to literacy and numeracy services, drug and alcohol counselling and mental health practitioners if needed, to keep you on track and safe through your trade apprenticeship.

The Apprenticeship Support Officer can also help in navigating other support services such as the Fair Work Ombudsman and WorkSafe. The student wellbeing team can help you with any issues you may be facing with study and life, plus we have doctors who visit Warrnambool and Sherwood Park regularly.

Contact our Apprenticeship Support Officer
Lee Martin
Mobile: 0409 952 038

Victorian Apprenticeship Field Services check in with you to see how your apprenticeship or traineeship is progressing.

You have access to the Student Hub with free tea and coffee plus microwaves and other cooking equipment. We have a cafeteria at our Warrnambool campus which serves up a range of healthy and delicious meals.

For those who have to travel, Deakin University offers short stay accommodation at Sherwood Park, which is a short walk from our campus or there is a train service to the Warrnambool City Centre. Click here to find out more.

Portland has a range of caravan parks a short walk from our campus which provides affordable options.

Financial information

The payment of your training fees depends on the industrial award under which you are employed and your employment agreement. Speak to your Australian Apprenticeship Support Network Provider to find out more.

Trade Support Loans for eligible Australian apprentices can help with the costs of living and learning while undertaking an Australian Apprenticeship, find out more here.

Some of the other initiatives currently available across Victoria include:

  • Living Away from Home Allowance
  • Car registration discounts
  • Travel and Accommodated Allowances
  • Youth Allowance, Austudy and ABSTUDY
  • Discounted Health Care and Travel allowances

Contact your Australian Apprenticeship Support Network Provider for info on Living Away from Home Allowance and car rego. Also contact Centrelink when you commence your work contract to see what you may be eligible for. You need to provide any concession cards on enrolment.