We are here to help you on your study journey with South West TAFE. Browse our most Frequently Asked Questions below to help you on your way.


How do I apply for a course?

Depending on the type of course you are seeking to enrol into, there are different application methods.

Click here to find out more about the application methods.

Click here to find out how to become an apprentice or trainee.

I’ve submitted my application. What happens now?

Once we receive your application, we will assess whether you need to undertake a Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) assessment. This is only required if you haven't completed one recently with SWTAFE or do not hold one of the required qualifications. If we need you to undertake this assessment, we will email it to you to complete online.

If you are not required to undertake this assessment, you may be contacted via email to provide evidence of previous qualifications.

Click here to find out more information on the steps of how to apply.

I have registered my interest for a course. What happens next?

We will contact you via email when we have updates occurring to this course.

Can I apply for a course if I’m aged under 18 years old?

Yes, however you will need parental/guardian consent. If you are under 17 you will need to provide evidence of an exemption from your school.

Some of our courses do have a minimum age as an entry requirement to either enrol in the course or complete certain units.

View the entry requirements on the course page on our website or contact us to find out more.

Which courses are online?

We have a variety of courses that offer part of the training virtually or self-paced and these classes can look different for each course.

We offer online study options including:

  • Virtual classroom - classes will be in a live teaching and learning environment via videoconferencing where teachers and students can present course materials, engage and interact with one another, and work together in groups in real-time.
  • SWTAFE online - a self-paced online learning platform you can use to check your course progress, submit assignments, contact your teacher and access course resources.

View the course page for each course and find this information under the study mode section.

I’m not sure what course I want to do. Can you help?

Our Skills and Jobs Centre offers careers and training advice to help you on the right path for your future. Click here to find out more or call 5564 8515.

I’m an international student. Can I study at SWTAFE?

In order to study at South West TAFE you need to be living in Australia. If you are on a student visa you will not be able to study at SWTAFE as we are not CRICOS (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students) accredited. If you are on another visa that is not a student visa you may be able to study with us however will not be government-funded and will have to pay full fees for the course. Contact us to find out your eligibility.

What short courses do you have?

We offer a range of short courses in the south west region. View a list of our short courses here.

We also have a range of Free TAFE short courses that are free to eligible students.


How much will my course cost?

You can view indicative course fees under the fees section on each course page.

Your final course fees will be calculated at the time of enrolment. Circumstances for everyone are different and this can affect what you pay for training with us. 

Contact us to find out what course fee rate you are eligible for and to find out more.

What is a VET Student Loan?

A Vocational Education and Training (VET) Student Loan is an Australian Government Loan Scheme for the Vocational Education and Training Sector that is part of the High Education Loan Program (HELP).

If you are enrolling into a Diploma or Advanced Diploma course, you may have the option to defer payment of your tuition fees via a VET Student Loan. Click here to find out more information.

Am I eligible for a VET Student Loan?

To be eligible for a VET Student Loan, you need to meet academic requirements prior to admission into your Diploma course.  Please see our VET Student Loan Entry Guidelines.

What is Free TAFE?

Free TAFE is a Victorian Government program that covers tuition fees for priority courses for students who are eligible for government subsidised training. There may still be some costs like course materials, uniform or excursions applicable to the course you select.

What is the Free TAFE Pathways Program?

A Free TAFE Pathways Program is a group of courses that complement each other to help you continue to train for the career and industry you may wish to work in.

Click here for more information and to view Free TAFE Pathways Program courses offered at SWTAFE.


When does my course start?

Most of our courses have intakes starting in February and/or July each year, and some courses can be started at any time. You can view the upcoming start dates for each course on the course page.

The class timetable is different for every course and this information is included on the course page under the commencement section.

What are the entry requirements for my course?

You can find the entry requirements (if applicable) on each course page under the Course Requirements section.

How do I access the student portal?

Click here to access the student portal. You will receive your login details at the time of enrolment.

What is a USI?

Your USI is your Unique Student Identifier.

It is your individual education number for life. It also gives you an online record of your vocational education and training (VET) undertaken in Australia. If you're at university, TAFE or doing other nationally recognised training, you need a USI. Without one, you can't get Commonwealth financial assistance or your qualification or statement of attainment.

A USI gives you access to your online USI account which is made up of 10 numbers and letters. Your USI will be collected from you at the time of application and/or enrolment. Visit the USI website at usi.gov.au to see your account.

When do I get my timetable?

The course timetable can be found on the course page on our website.

Your teacher will confirm with you your expected course attendance upon enrolment including:

  • class days and times
  • location and classroom
  • class breaks and holidays (if applicable to your course)
  • expected course completion
  • placement (if applicable to your course)
  • study requirements outside of class time (if applicable to your course)
How do I find my class?

If you’re having trouble finding your class, refer to the maps below or visit the campus reception in Warrnambool (South West Central), Portland, Hamilton, Sherwood Park and Colac.

How do I get my certificate?

On completion of your course you will be issued with a certificate in the mail. If you have any enquiries, please contact your teacher.

To apply for a replacement certificate or statement of attainment, contact us.

What student support do you offer?

You can access a variety of free support services that will enhance your study experience and help you to complete your studies successfully.

This includes:

Click here to view full list of student support services.