Outstanding students recognised at Pure awards
Pure Academy’s top hairdressing, barbering, beauty, massage and nail technology students were awarded and showed off their creative talents at this year’s annual event at Brother Fox at Deakin University.
SWTAFE Business, Design and Personal Services Acting Teaching Manager, Kathy Hall said the night was a fantastic opportunity to reward the students for their hard work throughout their training.
Students take part in showcase competition which is an opportunity for students to use their creativity and skills learnt in their course to compete amongst other students. As part of this competition students must follow the categories rules and timeframes, all while having fun and contributing to their course work. These awards were presented on the night along with awards for our outstanding students across hairdressing, barbering, massage, beauty & nail technology.
She said the training the students received at Pure Academy prepared them well for the workforce and the showcase was just one part of building their confidence and imagination as they presented their work to be scrutinised.
“It’s also a chance for them to show off their creativity and let their artistic skills shine as opposed to the commercial salon work they are used to producing,” she said.
Mrs Hall said the event had been running for 13 years and it was a way of showcasing the students’ work in a competitive, yet encouraging environment and honouring the top students.
She said Pure Academy had gone from strength to strength and with hundreds of students South West TAFE was the largest provider of hair and beauty training in South West Victoria.
- VET Delivered to Secondary Students 1st Year - Student of the Year - Tara Alexander – Warrnambool College
- VET Delivered to Secondary Students 2nd Year - Jessica Negrello – Mercy Regional College
- Massage Student of the Year - Nicole Jephcott.
- Hairdressing Student of the Year - Deborah Conheady.
- Hairdressing Apprentice Student of the Year - Jasper Smith.
- Barbering Student of the Year - Jack Mason
- Certificate III in Nail Technology Student of the Year - Blaire Thorne
- Retail Student of the Year - Cathy Finch
- Certificate III in Beauty Services Student of the Year - Gaylene Childs
- Certificate IV in Beauty Therapy Student of the Year - Sophie Harry
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy Student of the Year - Ash Baudinette
- Industry Partnership Award – Nailco.