Free TAFE is a Victorian Government program that covers tuition fees for priority courses for students who are eligible for government-subsidised training. There may still be some costs like course materials, uniform or excursions applicable to the course you select.
South West TAFE is offering over 30 Free TAFE for Priority courses
Free TAFE courses - Agriculture + Horticulture
Free TAFE courses - Building & Construction
Free TAFE courses - Business & Finance
Free TAFE courses - Children's Services
Free TAFE courses - Food & Hospitality
Free TAFE courses - Nursing, Health & Community Services
Free TAFE courses - Trades & Maritime
Free TAFE courses - Tourism
Who is eligible for Free TAFE courses?
Any Australian citizen or permanent resident or a New Zealand citizen is eligible to do a Free TAFE course in Victoria if they meet one of the following criteria:
Under 20 or upskilling:
- are under 20 (regardless of any other qualifications), or
- are 20 or older and enrolling in a course that is a higher qualification than you've previously attained.
Victorians who are:
- unemployed and clients of the Jobs Victoria Employment Network
- retrenched workers
- automotive supply chain workers
- wanting to reskill, change careers, improve their employment prospects and/or meet the needs of local industries may be exempt from the eligibility criteria.
Please note: The Free TAFE for Priority Courses initiative will pay your tuition fees for only one course. Once you have enrolled in a Free TAFE course, you cannot get a Free TAFE place again, even if you do not finish your first Free TAFE course.
Ineligible for a Free TAFE course?
If you don’t meet these criteria you may qualify for an eligibility exemption. An exemption will enable you to receive a Free TAFE place. Enquire now to find out if you qualify.
Find out more
Have you checked our frequently asked questions? You'll find your answer there.
If you need to check your eligibility or enquire about a course, contact us.