Apprentice & Trainee Support

Our Apprenticeship Support Officer (ASO) offers free and confidential advice, guidance, mentoring and support including a range of referrals to literacy and numeracy services, drug and alcohol counselling and mental health practitioners if needed, to keep you on track and safe through their trade apprenticeship.

The ASO can also provide assistance in navigating other support services such as the Fair Work Ombudsman and WorkSafe. The student wellbeing team can help you with any issues you may be facing with study and life, plus we have doctors that visit Warrnambool and Sherwood Park so you can book in when suits you.

You have access to the Student Hub with free tea and coffee plus microwaves and other cooking equipment. We have a cafeteria at our Warrnambool campus which serves up a range of healthy and delicious meals.

For those who have to travel, Deakin University offers short stay accommodation at Sherwood Park, which is a short walk from our campus or there is a train service to the Warrnambool City Centre. Find out more

Portland has a range of caravan parks a short walk from our campus which provides affordable options.

Financial info

The payment of your training fees depends on the industrial award under which you are employed and your employment agreement. Speak to your employer or to your Australian Apprenticeship Support Network Provider to find out more.

Trade Support Loans provide up to $20,000 to eligible Australian apprentices in priority areas to assist them with the costs of living and learning while undertaking an Australian Apprenticeship. A 20 percent discount is applied on the amount borrowed when the apprentice successfully completes their apprenticeship.

Apprentices are required to repay the loans through the tax system when their repayment income meets the repayment threshold. The loans are flexible to meet the needs of each individual.

 Some of the other initiatives currently available across Victoria include:

  • Living Away from Home Allowance
  • Car registration discounts
  • Travel and Accommodated Allowances
  • Youth Allowance, Austudy and ABSTUDY
  • Discounted Health Care and Travel allowances

Contact Centrelink when you commence your work contract to see what you may be eligible for. You need to provide any concession cards on enrolment.

Workplace info

Any questions about your apprenticeship should be directed to your AASN.

The Fair Work Ombudsman has a great tool called PayCheck. It helps you to calculate the base rates of pay for a particular job. It also has information about pay and conditionsentitlements - your situation will be unique so make sure you check your relevant award.

Superannuation is money set aside over your lifetime to provide for your retirement and is generally paid by your employer. The superannuation guarantee hotline (13 10 20) provides free information and referral on matters relating to superannuation.

WorkSafe Victoria has some good information about workplace safety and what to do if you get injured in the workplace. Find out more about claims.

Completing your apprenticeship

VRQA registers and monitors apprenticeships and traineeships in Victoria. It protects the interests of employers, apprentices and trainees in ensuring quality training is delivered with nationally recognised outcomes. The VRQA write to both you and your employer confirming that the apprenticeship is completed when:

  • you have achieved all the competencies of the structured training
  • your employer has confirmed with the RTO your competence in the workplace
  • your RTO enters the information received from your employer into the apprenticeship database. Trainees will receive confirmation of completion directly from the RTO only.